Today I spent some time fixing up the chicken coop. I needed to remove the cobwebs, wash the French windows, and have some of the chicken wire repaired. My neighbors came over and helped me. They reattached the chicken wire to the side of the coop, where it had come loose in a few places.
The chickens slept in Lana's old dog crate last night. I lined it with straw. They were huddled together for safety. This morning they started to venture out, so I removed the dog crate and let them transition to the hen house. I just love this chicken coop. It is beautifully designed, using recycled French windows and doors. Because of the windows, they can see the orchard. You can also hear the neighbor's chickens and rooster. It's such a natural environment for them. It feels good to be using the coop again.
After they've been in here for a week, I will open the door, and let them start free ranging. It's a large yard, so they will get lots of exercise and sunshine. They will be able to scratch in the dirt, and take dust baths. They gobbled up the spinach, red wiggler worms, and mealy bugs from the compost pile that I gave them. I am hoping that they will start laying soon. I cooked up some hard boiled eggs and fed them those, too. The protein seems to help them lay. We'll see...
I finished these socks a few days ago. I just blocked them, and will deliver them to my friend next week. I think this yarn will go very well with blue jeans.
Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.
0 Comments